Quintana Roo changes to Eastern Time – Matching NY City, Miami, Boston et al

Jan. 16, 2015
Adjusting our travel plans to Cancun or Q. Roo:
Quintana Roo (think Cancun) changes to Eastern Standard Time on Feb. 1, 2015 – so Yucatecans (and others on Central time – Mexico City time) should adjust their travel plans accordingly.

8:00 AM Yucatan => 9:00 AM Q. Roo time.

8 Responses to Quintana Roo changes to Eastern Time – Matching NY City, Miami, Boston et al

1. wildbill1466 says:

Help! In Aug. 2014 entered Mexico and received a single slip 180 day tourist visa (depart Feb 2015) with no further instructions.

In the past I have paid the fee any time within the 180 days in cash at my local BanaMex and was given a bank receipt which I turned in with my tourist visa at departure.

THIS TIME!(In Feb. 2015) BanaMex told me they could not accept the fee WITHOUT a form which they did not have. They said I could get the form on the Internet! I have searched the net and cant find a appropriate form. Can somebody give me the web address for the form? I suspect that what will be due is the 2015 fee.

Do I have the option of just waiting until departure and paying the fee at the airport OR will this be more complicated and time consuming? I do not have a printer and need to travel some distance to use one. I can pay by cash or U.S. credit card. Thanks Bill wildbill1466@gmail.com

Hi Bill,**
      I checked around the web, and I also had no luck finding a form to pay for your FMM.

Try other banks,
      **Editor’s Note: When I first replied, I didn’t see how you entered Mexico (my error) ~ a detail which makes all the difference.

When foreigners fly in, the airlines automatically pad the ticket cost with the price of the FMM.

Since you flew by public carrier (American, United, Frontier, AeroMexico, et al), then they auto-charged you for the FMM.

• wildbill1466 says:

Thanks Steve!
        I am even more confused now as two replies on another forum say the fee was included in my airline ticket but I would really like to see this in writing rather than get hung up on departure.
        Bill

Hey Bill,
        I didn’t see that you flew into Mexico (my error) ~ a detail which makes all the difference.

When foreigners fly in, the airlines now automatically pad the ticket cost with the price of a tourist visa.

If you flew by public carrier (American, United, Frontier, AeroMexico, et al), then they auto-charged you for the tourist/visitante visa. In past years, the airlines did not charge us for the tourist visa fee, and instead INM gave us a form to take to a bank to pay, but the “new” system of airline auto-charges has been in place for at least 4-5 years.

Public Service Announcement Sidelight: This automatic universal policy of charging for visitante visas on airline tickets for foreigners, is a real Pain-in-the-rear for foreigners who have Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal, because the airlines and ticket booking companies simply do not care, and auto-overcharge us the $27 US dollars, just about every time.

I have argued with United, et al over this for the past 5 years – and each time it takes between 3 and 5 phone calls to find an airline representative who will talk with a knowlegeable supervisor – to delete the extra $27 a person incorrect charge.

They even over-charge my Mexican wife, with her Mexican passport … because the airlines now do NOT show a line item for the FMM charge any more. Instead, they bury it in mystery “taxes and fees” item.

After 3 calls, and 2 emails, we finally got United to delete the $27 a ticket overcharges before we flew at Christmastime (2014). It took 5 calls to finally get them to agree to refund last August’s 2015 FMM, “entry” charges into Mexico.
        (End of Public Service Announcement)

Enjoy the weekend,

2. Dave Grundy says:

Thanks for that information Steve.

It has bothered me in the last few years that, despite holding residency visas in Mexico, the airlines still charge us the “tourist visa” fee as part of the airfare cost.

I will pursue a refund as well…Heck, I am retired and have lots of time on my hands!!!

It is not a matter of the dollar amount involved, it is the principle of being charged a fee that we do not need to pay.

Dave

Good Luck!

Maybe one in five airline reps are willing to consider researching it,

• Dave Grundy says:

I hear you Steve…Maybe one in five airline reps will even know what I am asking about.. It is beyond the area of their expertise?? or knowledge?? or interest??

But, hey, it’ll be fun to check it out. If I eventually win, it is a bonus for the good guy!

3. norm says:

Flew out of Cancun last week after a five week stay between Yucatan and Belize. I had to pay the exit fee at the Belize border even though it was paid with my air ticket but when I got my boarding pass last week, they took my tourist card and that was it-no extra fee so it all evened out. They did not do any kind of immigration on the Mexican leg of the out going trip, no passport stamp, no look in my luggage, nothing. There was a random bag check at the boarding gate but it looked like a security check to me; I walked on by.