Common Questions

91 Responses to Common Questions

  1. Marsha McCarthy says:

    I have a question. My car was totaled by a drunk driver and I am waiting for a settlement. How do I get my wrecked, totaled car off my FM3? I can’t even get a straight answer from my lawyer. I was told I have to go to Mexico City. I did not have insurance. I let it lapse and will NEVER do that again. I want to buy a US car that belongs to a friend and nationalize it when I go for permanent resident.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Marsha,
      You give Aduana a letter describing that the car has been wrecked, describing the make, model, year, and VIN number, plus the Aduana permit number, your passport number, your name, and a request that Aduana and Banjercito cancel your current permit. Include the original permit, THE STICKER off the windshield, and a Notarized letter where the mechanic or junk yard certifies that the car had been damaged beyond repair, and that it has been turned into scrap, and will never be driven again. They may want a copy of your passport and the title.

      You take that to your local Aduana office, and ask them to process you surrendering your permit, and issue you a document that certifies that your TIP has been officially cancelled.

      If you have no Aduana office nearby, it takes longer: You send all the things into DF, along with a Comprabante proving your address, and your contact information (phone, email, and address) and wait: (for up to a year)
      Administración General de Aduanas
      Administración Central de Planeación Aduanera
      Av. Hidalgo No. 77, Módulo IV, primer piso
      Col. Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtemoc
      Código Postal 06300, México, D.F.


      • JACK PAULETTE says:

        Steve, When you take all the paper work listed above to the Aduana office is this something you can wait on or does this have to be handled thru the mail for their response? Also, I live south of Veracruz, Ver but use the Aduana in Matamoros. Love your site. Over time have run across several things I either did not know the answer too or was just not aware to even ask about. Really helps to take the time to read the comments. Thanks, JACK

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi Jack,
        In the past, people we have known found that their requests ultimately had to be approved by Mexico City (DF) Aduana offices – but their process took a year, because they were missing some of the required items, so your application should not take that long – so, I don’t think it can be done in a day.
        Happy Holidays,

      • Jen Peterson says:

        You would need to get the new car here to Mexico and licenced before you apply for permanent residency. Temporary residence can do it but not permanent residents cannot

  2. bobby brown says:

    hi forum: i have a question on my daughters FM- 3–it expires in the middle of this June and upon graduating high school here in Vallarta; she will be leaving Mexico for college in the States on Sept.1- and i can’t see paying now 2,000 pesos for a whole year—will the Aduana at the airport have a problem with the FM-3 being expired for a month and a half-?—-i don’t see her returning to Mexico to live–Puerto Vallarta is for the old farts—LOL–Thanks for your imput—bobby brown-

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Bobby,
      When she checks in with INM, they can take one of 3 paths:
      1. Tell her she was a naughty girl and waive the penalties (possible, if they think she intends to renew and is late on the renewal – but unlikely).
      2. Charge her $50 pesos a day since the expiration date (the formal typical route ~ 45 days late x $50 pesos a day => $2,250 pesos => 2/3 of the cost of a Residente Temporal).
      3. Charge her some arbitrary fine between $400 pesos and $2,000 pesos.

      Reports from across Mexico these past years describe those 3 scenarios, with the $50 pesos a day fee applied for people with about 1-2 months or less of late days.

  3. bobby brown says:

    Steve; thanks for your quick respomse: i think i’ll choose door number three—i’ll have her make like a tourist that lost her FMM card given out on the planes entering Mexico–like they say–KISS IT- no sense in giving these guys any more ammunition than you have too- The latest with me at Puerto Vallarta INM– my old FM-3 had a one on it so i bought my last three years for my temporary resident for around 6,000 pesos–no financials or proof of residence–real easy–now my J cars have another three years of life–let’s see what the future holds?—thanks again for your useful imput—Bobby Brown

  4. says:

    hi dear i am paksitani nationality holder. i study in cuba i am married with mexican girl how i can i apply for nationality

  5. Tom says:

    Hi- my girlfriend and I are moving to puerto penasco.. I am going to be bringing a trailer load full of most of our stuff. Including furniture, bed, household items.. Etc. and I was wondering on how to get a one time waiver on import taxes for our things. I have read about an exemption but not sure on how to obtain it. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions 🙂

  6. Mike says:

    I’m a Canadian citizen currently staying in San Francisco, and wish to apply for Mexican residence visa, either temporary or permanent. I can’t find the requirements for either anywhere. Can you please help me with that.

    I have only worked in the US so my retirement accounts are only in the US as well. I’m 51 so retiree / pensioner category does not apply to me. Currently I’m not working. What other options do I have? And can I apply at their consulate in San Francisco as a Canadian citizen? Thank you.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Mike,
      If you look at the “most popular articles” listed in the right sidebar of our web-page, you will see a link with answers to all of your questions: New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

      About 6 paragraphs down, find and click on: ~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Temporary Residency / Residente Temporal Applicants

      ~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Permanent Residency / Residente Permanente Applicants

      • Mike says:

        Hi Steve,

        Thanks for the references. I read through the information on the page you referred me to and came up with a few more questions:

        First off, all of the following questions are for a brand new Permanent Residence visa application (under the Financial Independence ((Savings or Income or Property)) category) to Mexican consulates for a single, semi-but-not yet retired Canadian male, currently staying in San Francisco, and who had worked only in the USA, thereby all his saving and investment accounts are only in the USA as well. Nothing in Canada.

        1) For the proof of the minimum average monthly balance, i.e. 12 months of original bank statements (plus copies) as proof of income or savings/investments, I think I can use a combination of saving account and a portfolio of mutual fund accounts that include IRA, is that correct? And do I need to provide each of 12 statements in its entirety or only the front pages that show the total balance of each statement period?

        2) Where can I get a complete list of the documents / things I need to submit to the consulate when applying for such visa?

        3) Being in San Francisco now, and as a Canadian citizen, I’m wondering if I can apply for this visa here? I read about the need of getting legalization of any Canadian public document due to the fact that Canada is not a Member State of the Apostille convention. So does that mean my passport needs to be legalized by one of the Mexican consulates in Canada? If so, what else? All my saving and mutual funds are in the USA, so I’d assume they won’t need legalization from Canada, correct?

        4) A permanent resident can leave and re-enter Mexico with no restriction, is that correct? If so, very time when we leave and re-enter, do we need any special papers or are our permanent resident cards all that we need? Just in case I’ll end up working a job that requires me out of Mexico for an extended period of time every year.

        5) Regarding the Fidei Comiso, is that like a lien in the USA? From what I read, foreigners who bought property near the ocean or border will have to put the property under Fidei Comiso, which will incur extra costs / fees to the foreigners; did I understand it correctly? And only citizens have the right to terminate it, not permanent residents, even under the new law, correct?

        Please accept my apology if I’ve left out any materials on your web site that already contain the answers to any questions above. Thank you.

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi Mike,
        Good good insights and questions. The requirements and actual final individual standards vary by Consulate – so you have to check with the consulate you will use.

        1. & 2. e.g. Most Consulates (but NOT Boston) accept financial statements showing monthly deposits, while Boston requires that the deposits be from only PENSION/Social Security income. Check the website for the Consulate you plan to use: ?? I believe that San Francisco accepts 6 months of generic monthly deposits. Many Consulates do not answer phone calls on this, and you must go in to the Consulate to get their specific list of documents/requirements. See the general list above for a starting point.

        3. If you have formal US residency, (especially with a San Francisco area address), then you can apply at the San Francisco Mexican Consulate. Bring your proof of US residency and copies.

        4. Mexican Permanent Residents can come and go at will. There are no restrictions on how long you can be out of Mexico.

        5. A Fideicomiso is a FOREIGN TRUST…. Trusts are “individuals” – like corporations. Under the current rules, foreigners must use this legal vehicle to be the actual owner of the property in the border and coastal zones. Fideicomiso’s annual fees (charged by the major banks) typically cost about $600 USD a year. If you become a citizen (later), then you can close out the fideicomiso – effectively have the fideicomiso sell the property to you – which may incur gains taxes if the property increases in value…. (talk with a good Notario about this – e.g. the Notario who handles your property purchase)

        All good,

  7. Mike says:

    Hi Steve,

    I walked into Mexican Consulate in San Francisco today and came out heartbroken…

    I first talked to a female clerk, telling her I’d like to find out if I could apply for a permanent residence visa under the Financial Independence category. She had no idea what it is and then showed me the papers that listed the requirements for both Temp and Permanent residence visa application and both were FOR RETIREES ONLY. I kept explained nicely to her under the new law, there’s such a category and what it entails. But she said the only web site information I can go by is Mexican Immigration Office’s official site, which was only in Spanish.

    She finally got another man to talk to me. I think he was probably someone with higher authority. He was polite but to make a long story short, he said i was so young (51 years old), I don;t have a house in Mexico, and I don;t have a job in Mexico either, so I don;t have the intent to live in Mexico. And no Mexican consulate will issue a PR visa to someone who does not have the intent to live in Mexico.

    He also kept saying I look so young. I do look much younger than my biological age and this would have been a nice compliment in a normal social conversation. But unfortunately in this particular case, I strongly suspected a judgement call was in play for whatever reason.

    I explained to him why I wanted to immigrate to Mexico and I do intend to live there, but he said, “but you don’t own a house there, you don’t have a job there, you don’t have family there.”

    I understand the majority of PR applicants are retirees but I never knew being one plus having a house, or a job in Mexico are also the requirements, oh and the age. And isn’t the reason of creating such a category as Financial Independence to allow people like me who are not retirees yet, but have the required financial means to immigrate to Mexico for whatever reason to be able to apply as well.

    And that’s it! Doesn’t matter the new law. It’s their own law that counts. He suggested I can always visit Mexico and stay 6 months visa free each time.

    I walked out of their office stunned and heartbroken. My mind was totally blank. All the research and efforts trying to learn the new law were wasted. I don’t know what to do now.

    If I do visit Mexico as a tourist, since I hold a Canadian passport, I can just go, right? But what should I prepare / know beforehand so i will encounter least or no trouble later down the road when I need to stay another 6 months or eventually apply for a temporary or permanent resident visa? Can I do all of these transactions (extend another 6 months, apply for temp residence and apply for permanent residence) while I’m in Mexico? What are the actually procedures for these three transactions once I’m in Mexico as a visitor? Thank you.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Mike,
      Sorry to hear that the San Fran Mexican Consulate has adopted the requirement of accepting only retirement/pension income or savings – requiring you to be a retired person. You would still seem to qualify as a Residente Temporal (to apply at the San Fran Consulate)?

      Re Applying inside Mexico: When you enter Mexico as a visitor (visitante), the law expressly forbids changing visa type, unless you have a Mexican family member or are a refugee.
      Governments around the world sure make us jump through hoops,

  8. bobbybrown says:

    has any one notice charges on your B of A account for international 3 percent fees being charged?–as many of you; I live out of the ATM machine–I have been withdrawing for 7 years now and looks like the party is over–I use Santander and Scotia ATM and the story is the same–looks like B of A has severed all ties with their international partner networks–does any one out their have any solutions–?–I’ve been banking with B of A since ‘ 89—looks like this latest stunt has finally run me off– ha ha

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Bobby,
      Yes, the BofA charges have been a hot topic on expat forums across Mexico since their new policy started in November. No way to get around them. For the first few weeks, BofA phone representatives were cancelling/waiving the charges if you called in, but they have just now stopped the rebates.

      Some people are retreating to retirement banks like Schwab, others to banks who still have no fees or small fees. If you are in Mexico, use a VPN to set up US accounts – especially with Schwab – because they reject the applications when they see applications made from Mexican IP addresses, while the same application is accepted when using a VPN (masquerading as if you had a US IP). So, they do accept our applications, just not when sent from a computer in Mexico.
      Be well,

      • bobbybrown says:

        thanks Steve–I talked to a B of A rep for the third time today and the last one seem to think I can beg to reverse the charges each month and every month in the future ; but I think you are probably right about the grace period being over–i’m looking at $105 in charges each month ; which is 3 % of my income– that’s a pretty chunk of change to just blow off. well; I can’t help to think that Communist Obama has his hands in this–excuse my French.- luckily I just rent in Fluvial, Puerto Vallarta and have two more years left on my Temporary Resident; so i’m pretty mobile with my J car–this may have been the deal breaker I dreaded coming as my wife is Mexican and she is tired of all the crap going on nowadays in Mexico anyway; and she is ready to go back to San Jose, CA.
        thanks again Steve for letting me vent—Bobby Brown

  9. David says:

    Hello –

    Can somebody please confirm or point me in the right direction regarding AGE requirements for a Residente Permanente? I am 27 years old with independent income, and interested in gaining permanent residency.

    I have read conflicting statements — some say that you have to be 60+ and truly retired, while others say there is no legal age requirement. What is the current understanding?

    I have spent a cumulative 2 years living in Mexico on tourist entry permits, but am now interested in Perm. Residency and later, citizenship. What are my options for permanent residency if my income comes from outside of Mexico at age 27?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi David,
      There is no standard age => which is why you have found conflicting statements.

      1. Temporary residents who have completed 4 continuous years of an aggregate of FM2, FM3, No Inmigrante, Inmigrante, or Residente Temporal qualify for Residente Permanente.

      2. Some Mexican Consulates (Chicago, Phoenix, & ???) have been allowing anyone with sufficient income OR sufficient savings to qualify for Residente Permanente. San Francisco, Boston, & ??? Mexican Consulates have required that people be close to retirement age – whatever that means – as they have applied sliding standards.

      3. Immediate family members and spouses of Residente Permanentes and Mexican citizens are allowed Resident Permanente, regardless of age. Spouses must have completed 2 years of prior Residente Permanente – while children, parents and grandparents qualify immediately.

      Have you read our article on these things?

      • David says:

        Very good, thank you for the information.
        One quick follow-up question: In your understanding, can a Residente Temporal become a citizen after 5 years? Or is naturalization only after 5 years as Permanente? Again, I’ve read conflicting information on this. Thank you–

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi David,
        Recent first hand reports from around Mexico (and also from a good local Notario) are saying that 5 years on some combination of Residente Temporal and FM2 (Inmigrante) meet SRE’s requirements.

        Other Notes on the Mexican citizenship process: You must prove that you were not out of Mexico for more than 180 days out of the last 2 years. When they grant you citizenship, you will receive a Carta de Naturalización. This document is as important as your birth certificate, marriage license, etc. Keep it safe. Mexican passport costs:, If you’re over age 60, passports cost 50% less than if you are under 60.
        When you get it: Please come back and give us a shout about how it went.

  10. JACK PAULETTE says:

    Van broke down. Need new motor. Going home by bus. Want to ship some things from Matamoros to State of Veracruz. What is cheapest way. DHL is to expensive. They have “Inbox”, “Paquetexpress” and “redbox” here. I used to use “Multi Pack” but DHL took them over. Thanks for any help.

    • margaret says:

      I have a case full of second hand toys for orphans 20 lbs. will I be allowed to bring these in to mexico by plane.

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi Margaret,
        Since there is a limit of 5 toys per person, you will be bringing in more than is allowed Duty Free/Tax Free under the formal rules. Can you get the orphanage to give you a letter (on their letterhead) confirming who the toys are for? If you get a red light, or they identify the toys on X-ray scans, the letter could get them to waive any taxes.

        If you get the green light at Customs, there may be no $$ charged. If you get the red light, they may charge 15% (IVA) of the estimated value. “Estimated value” could be important, where if you itemize the toys on a spreadsheet, with used prices, and have a copy to give them, then they may accept your valuation versus Aduana making up a (higher?) value on-the-spot. Giving them a spreadsheet gives the agent: something to put into the file, and proof to show a boss if they are questioned about why they approved low valuations.

  11. I have been thinking about selling my house, so I switched to an FM2 (when it was the old system), as per the advise of my accountant. As per the changes, when I went for my renewal, the back of that card stated only ONE year, not taking into account all the years of FM3 prior. They would not honour the other years, so now I have to pay and wait THREE years in order to get permanente residency, helping with capital gains tax. Is there any comeback on this or do I have to wait 3 years before selling my house? crazy.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Beached,
      Have you read our article on gains taxes on real estate sales?

      As the article describes, ONLY naturalized citizenship guarantees you a chance at qualifying for the homeowner’s exemption from gains taxes.

      Since the BUYER generally picks the Notaria who handles the sale, can you guarantee that the buyer’s Notaria will personally risk their finances to grant a Residente Permanente an exemption?

      Further, the buyer’s Notaria must be convinced that you meet the various 5 year requirements to qualify for the exemption – like 5 years of power and water bills in your name – plus proof that your Mexican home is your primary home, and is also your “principal place of fiscal activity” for the previous 5 years, – so the buyer’s Notaria can refuse to allow the exemption if you travel too much outside of Mexico.

      This means that there can be lots of hurdles to clear, and Residente Permanente is no guarantee. Personally, I would check with your INM office, and see how their policies have changed this past year. Pretty much ALL INM offices are now using aggregated years from previous FM3’s + FM2’s + Inmigrante + No Inmigrante to meet the 4 year Temporary Residente requirement – so, if you had no breaks and no fines/penalties on your prior Mexican residency visas, you should qualify for Residente Permanente this year (pending meeting the other RP requirements:
      Happy Trails, and best of luck in finding a buyer’s Notaria who will risk their personal $$ to approve your desired homeowner’s exemption**,

      **The Notaria is personally fiscally responsible if SAT decides (after the fact) that you actually did not qualify for the exemption – making Notaria’s hesitant to pass out the exemption like candy.

  12. bobbybrown says:

    for those of you who have B of A accounts and have been hit with the three % atm charge there is hope—Santander –USA-has announced yesterday they have free ATM in Mexico for their customers—i will be opening an account this May when I visit San Jose CA–

  13. bobbybrown says:

    sorry–the web reference didn’t work–maybe this might—-

  14. stan bass says:

    I saw where someone posted that the fine for overstaying your Mexican tourist visa was 50 pesos per day, but I overstayed mine by 3 years. Am I going to jail when I try to leave the country and I don’t have 55k pesos to pay that kind of fine. I was thinking about taking a domestic flight to Tijuana and walking across the border where it is very busy. Any ideas? Thanks!

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Stan,
      I have heard cases where the person was fined $2,000 – $4,000 pesos for unusually long expired visas. Wherever you might stop, I think they would ask you to leave Mexico immediately – or within at least 20 days – which means you have to leave anyway. You are allowed to walk out of Mexico at all (?) crossings. I believe you can also drive out. Flying out would definitely trigger issues.

  15. stan bass says:

    Thanks for the response, Steve! That makes me feel better. I was thinking about flying domestically on Volaris non-stop to Tijuana and taking a taxi to the busy border crossing and walking across.

    Do they ever ban you from returning?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Stan,
      You only get banned if you either get expelled for political activities or commit some serious crime and get expelled – or if you seriously piss-off some governmental leader – or if you are ordered by INM to leave Mexico within 20 days, and you do not comply in time. Law abiding foreigners are very very rarely banned.

  16. patrick griffiths says:

    can someone tell me where I would go to register a complaint with the director of obras publicas for abuse of power in Guadalajara. thank you patrickn

  17. mitsu says:

    hola mi nombre es mitsu y soy la amiga de said

  18. Barbara says:

    Hi, I recently put down a deposit for a 6-month lease on an apartment in central Mexico. I am now having serious second thoughts due to the property’s lack of physical security and the possible safety of my pet. I have not yet moved into the property.

    I am prepared to forfeit the security deposit plus the first month’s rent if necessary, but really need to break the lease. Could you please explain what additional penalties (beyond loss of the deposit and first month’s rent) I may expect if I walk away? Could the landlord pursue me in Mexico for the full 6-months’ rent due?

    Many thanks!

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Barbara,
      I think it all depends on the agreement you signed.

      Have an attorney look at your rental agreement, to help you know your options.

  19. Muhammad says:

    Hi sir or madam! I live in pakistan i love so much my girlfrd she live in maxico we love lot eachother so i want and she want to do mariage with me so plz tel me i have to go maxico or she come in pakistan if she come here in pakistan and we do mariage than goverment of pakistan give me free visa of maxico i want to live with her in maxico she do mariage with me in pakistan than they will visa of maxico give me free or they get money how much they get money plz help me i poor boy i love so much my girlfrd i want to do mariage and i want live with her in maxico plz help me plzzzz?

  20. Muhammad says:

    Hi sir I live in pakistan i love so much my girlfrd she live in maxico we love lot eachother so i want and she want to do mariage with me so plz tel me i have to go maxico or she come in pakistan if she come here in pakistan and we do mariage than goverment of pakistan give me free visa of maxico i want to live with her in maxico she do mariage with me in pakistan than they will visa of maxico give me free or they get money how much they get money plz help me i poor boy i love so much my girlfrd i want to do mariage and i want live with her in maxico plz help me plzzzz?

  21. Ama says:

    is it possible to change title on a Mexican coastal property from one Mexican National to another at a Mexican Consulate in another country./ Both the current owner and new owner to be, live outside of Mexico and do not wish to return to Mexico at this time.
    ,HOWEVER they would like to make the transaction at this time.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Ama,
      Every real estate sale must go through a Notario, and as far as we know, the Notario must be licensed for the state where the property is located.

      Given those constrictions, I don’t see how they could use a Mexican Consulate, unless you found a Consulate with a Notario in your property’s state. (??)

      Check with a good Notario in your property’s area, and see if they can do the transaction remotely using Cartas de Poder (Power of Attorney documents).
      Best of luck,

  22. Ama says:


  23. Mark says:

    am from Gabon, i have tourist visa and i am in mexico. can i be given the permission to marry a mexican girl even after my visa has expired? – – — Mark

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Mark,
      Marriages are controlled by each state’s Registro Civil office. INM does not approve the marriages between foreigners and Mexicans.

      Every state Registro Civil office we know of requires that the foreigner have a valid INM permit before the approve a marriage certificate.

  24. Chris says:


    I’m a UK citizen and intend to marry my Mexican girlfriend in the coming weeks within Mexico itself. I also have a job lined up to start in February 2015. I know under normal circumstances I have to apply for the work visa (Residente Temporal?) from a Mexican consulate outside of Mexico, but I wonder if I could get the work visa without having to leave Mexico if I was married.

    I wonder if my wife would qualify as ‘close family’ in Mexico, thus allowing me to apply for the visa within Mexico.


  25. Chris says:

    Hi Steve, thanks a lot for that information, I’m going through it now.

    I forgot to add that I’m here in Mexico on a Visitor’s Visa (180 days, expires in April 2015) – does the above still apply?


  26. Michelle says:

    Hi Steve We have submitted our initial paperwork for temp residency at Melaque today. We have to fly back to Canada next week and enquired about getting a Travel Letter. We were told that the Principal person in Melaque is on vacation and they cannot give us a Travel Letter as he is the only person who can log onto their system. They made a phone call and advised us that we have to go to the aPuerto Vallarta airport 4 hours before we leave and go and see the immigration office and they will supply us with a travel letter. We’re a bit concerned as we haven’t seen this information anywhere. Do you know if this is correct as we don’t want to jeopardize our application process but we have to return to Canada next week. Thanks for any advice you have for us.

  27. Lbsox says:

    Hello! I have a question regarding Fideocomisos and Mexican real estate law pertaining to US citizens. Not sure if this is the best place to post, but thought it was worth a try.

    I am a “substitute trustee” for a Fideocomiso which controls a home that was jointly owned by my late aunt and her boyfriend. My aunt died 11 years ago and I have never been contacted about anything relating to the property until I received a notice from a notary last week asking me if I wanted to buy the half interest controlled by my late Aunt’s boyfriend and pay 11 years worth of taxes. No further detail was provided. I have been trying to find a Mexican attorney to advise me, but have not had any luck finding one (property is in Sonora).

    Any ideas on what this could be about and/or how to find a good attorney/advisor?

  28. Dianne says:

    I am going to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for a month. Can I bring in canned salmon and tuna. I have read about canned meats but not sure about canned fish.

  29. Maureen says:

    Hi Steve..
    Just heard about the Zika virus and have had Dengue fever. I will be going to several South American Ports and the Caribbean in Feb 2016. Since contracting Dengue I have been vigilant with bug repellent while traveling. If bitten by this type of mosquito (since same breed) increase my danger of the hemographic (sp) fever? I am confused about this difference in these mosquito bites and danger.

  30. Maureen says:

    Hi Steve! Thanks, but still no answers if a Zika bite could cause a deadly reaction like a second dengue bite from a different strain? Very confusing….thanks!

  31. Marcel labelle says:


    I hope you can answer my question. It does not pertain to Zika as I cannot find a place to contact you on this website. I searched your site but nothing answers my problem.
    I was not able to obtain a TIP though I have a 6 mo tourist visa upon my entry into Mexico Nov 11/15. I recently received info from my Mex insurance agent that my vehicle insurance will not cover me in case of accident. I’m trying to avoid a trip back to Guymas or Nogales to obtain a TIP. Is there another option while here in Mazataln.?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Marcel,
      Check around with different companies.

      Some Mexican insurance companies do protect the driver & car, even when they are in Mexico illegally.

      Best of luck,

  32. John B Todd says:

    I would like to post a question about immigration but don’t know how to make a posting

  33. sdibaja says:

    Uncommon Question? Life Insurance…
    I am an American citizen, permanent resident living in Northern Baja.

    I am considering life insurance, payable to my wife. she is a Mexican national.
    I am 65, good health, smoker. 5’9″, 175 pounds.
    I am not looking for much, just something to assist my wife for transition if I die first.
    I searched on the state farm website, it has a $10,000 “final expense” policy and a $15,000 whole life policy that may be affordable.

    My son in law sells insurance in Hawaii, he has advised to contact an agent in Arizona.
    (My last US residence was in Arizona, I still vote absentee from there.)
    The agent I contacted said they do not sell to full time Mexico residents.

    I am now checking with the local agent that sells us car insurance (Mexican cars), and I am not sure what to expect.

    any ideas? Thanks, Peter

  34. Linda Leonrd says:

    I have residente permanente status. I go home to Canada for 5 months of the year. I receive my pension from Canada. I do not work in Canada nor in Mexico. Do I have to pay income tax in mexico based on my Canadian pension? Thanks for any info.

  35. J R says:

    You guys should do an article on the tax advantages of living in Mexico but working in the USA; its getting more and more common. I think the foreign housing exclusion is available under US law for US citizens, which is a substantial benefit.

  36. Evan Jacoby says:

    I am a permanent resident with a nationalized car. I want to go the US (I understand I need a FMM at before the border), and trade the car in on a newer car. What do I need to present to aduana when I show up at the border with a different car, provided I nationalize the newer car first?

  37. Appiah Edwardf says:

    I am Edward of Ghana, wish to visit to Mexico from Belize as a tourist, without the Mexican Visa and how can I

    I am Appiah of Ghana, a big farmer wish to visit to Mexico from Belize as a tourist, without the Mexican Visa how can i enter into Mexico and then return to Belize in one time?

    • yucalandia says:

      Does Ghana have a treaty with Mexico to allow free exchange of visitors, with no prior application for an entry visa?

      If Ghana has no treaty, then you must apply for a visitante visa at a Mexican consulate before coming here.

      Check with a Mexican Consulate.

      Safe Travels,

  38. MPATRICIA OBrien says:

    Steve, I have been a teacher in Yucatan for 27 years at a Catholic school, so you know I don’t
    make a lot of money. Many years ago (15) plus I drove a 1996 Ford pick up into Yucatan. The engine blew and it was going to cost $5500 US to replace. So the truck has been under cover in my garage ever SINCE. What do I do to get per work to give the truck away, or to move to get fixed and titled in Yucatan, Mx.

    • yucalandia says:

      Read our main article on Importing & operating vehicles in Mexico.

      Basically… you’re stuck, with few easy/cheap options

      You signed a contract with Banjercito/Aduana, where you promised to take your vehicle out of Mexico BEFORE the TIP expired.

      ~ You could have the vehicle towed to Belize, and try to sell it there. *sigh*

      ~ You could sell the vehicle to a mechanic or junk yard, and have them sign a Notarized letter stating that the vehicle was completely destroyed as scrap – chatarra – and cannot & will not ever be driven again … take fotos … and save the Banjercito/Aduana sticker from the windshield … and save the original TIP document & registration & title … and take the letter, sticker, title, registration, and TIP document to an Aduana office to cancel the old TIP. …


      Wish my news was better,

  39. Tj chadwicj says:

    Can I bring in canned salmon to mexico

  40. Dianne says:

    I brought several cans of salmon. I declared that I had the cans when I arrived. They checked my suitcase and let me bring them into Mexico.

    • yucalandia says:


      We too have brought dried meat products in their original unopened commercial packages, successfully, but have had other friends whose commercially packaged meats were seized.


      I suspect we should not try to import meats, unless we are willing to take a chance that they might be confiscated ??

  41. Michele S says:

    hi, we are 2 tourists (european) travelling through south and central america.. we would like to buy a car in mexico, either Yucatan or Quintana Roo, travel outside of mexico , and and the end of our trip return to mexico and sell it there.

    can we legally register the car in our name , when on a tourist visa ? i’ve heared it depends from state to state… is it possible in Yucatan or Quintana Roo ?

    and can we leave Mexico just like that , or are there any special procedures to follow ?

    thanks, and best regards,

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Michele S
      Your best option, (of 2 options) in my personal view, would be to contact an insurance agent who will write you a policy if you buy a car from a private party – with the license plate on it. Have the seller sign a simple power of attorney letter (Carta de Poder – available at any good papeleria).

      Have the Carta de Poder state that the owner gives you the right to drive & operate their car, with all the powers, rights & responsibilities as if you were the owner. That is to show the police if you are stopped or questioned.

      Then ask the owner to do the normal car sale procedure (of Mexico), where they sign the back of the original Dealer invoice (called a factura), transferring the car to you … (possibly leaving the date open).

      That allows you to temporarily insure the car, & temporarily operate it on the owner’s previous registration~Tarjeta de Circulación.

      Then when you go to sell it, you sign the back of the Dealer invoice, transferring ownership over to the next party.

      SECOND OPTION: (less desireable?)
      Enter Mexico in Q. Roo .. WITH A PRE ARRANGE PURCHASE PLAN.

      There are many Americans & Canadians who are STUCK with cars in either Yucatan or Q. Roo that they cannot legally drive because they have Permanent Residency visas. You, As a VISITANTE VISA are allowed to drive their US-plated or Canadian-plated car to the Q.Roo Belize border, and you can get a 6 month Temporary Import Permit TIP). With the TIP, you can drive wherever you want in Mexico …

      If you are a USA-nian … drive the car back to the USA… with the appropriate Carta de Poder documenting the sale and permission to drive it around Mexico as the owner. Then when in the USA, get a 30 day temporary tag at the border (if the US tags are expired) … and drive it home … and do whatever you want with it.

      If you are a Canadian … drive the Canadian-plated car back to Canada…


      Makes sense?

      That way you could drive the

  42. Sharon Hilliard says:

    What is the process for renewing a temporary visa? My husband received his Nov 2016. We are returning to the US in May and coming back to Mexico in Oct. Does the renewal process have
    to start from date the application was started in the US or the date the visa was granted in Mexico?

  43. Sharon Hilliard says:

    Thank you. What do we need to take to the INM office besides the passport and currenf RT card?
    Does he need new photos, an application form, a letter, proof of income, or other? Also, we will be
    bringing his truck down again that we set up to coincide with his RT. What does he need to do to
    update the truck’s status? Thanks again

    • yucalandia says:

      Each INM office can have their own requirements, so ask at your local INM office for requirements.

      When he gets his updated RT visa, use that to apply for a fresh TIP for the truck.

  44. Susan Madison says:

    Dear Mr. Fry,
    Since purchasing a small home in Puerto Vallarta eight years ago, I have successfully relied on as the definitive source for understanding all aspects of life as an expat in this amazing country, including, but certainly not limited to, the process for obtaining permanent residency status and for the proper method for calculating an annual Aguinaldo. Thank you so much for continuing to provide the most factual and current information on the broadest range of policies and practices that affect the English-speaking community. Would it be possible for me to contact you directly and outside of the publishing rules of your blog? Thank you again, Susan Madison

Leave a Reply to Evan Jacoby Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.