Absentee Voting Information for US Citizens in Mexico – The Article

Here’s a blurb passed along by the Merida Men’s Club:
The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City encourages U.S. citizens to register to vote and request absentee ballots as early in an election year as possible. This helps ensure that local election officials in the United States have time to send you an absentee ballot and that you have time to vote and return it. Looking ahead to the 2012 presidential election, the first primaries are currently scheduled to take place in January 2012. A complete 2012 election calendar is available at http://www.fvap.gov/vao/calendar.html.

The online electronic version of the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) is available now at the Federal Voting Assistance Program website, FVAP.gov. The FPCA registers and requests ballots for overseas voters simultaneously. Voters can visit FVAP.gov to use the online wizard or access the PDF-fillable forms. The FPCA is a standard form accepted by all 55 States and Territories for uniformed and civilian overseas voters to apply for an absentee ballot. The length of time the FPCA is valid and its completion requirements vary by State so be sure to refer to the FVAP.gov web portal or the 2012-2013 Voting Assistance Guide.

U.S. citizens who prefer to fill out the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form by hand can submit their forms to their states through the U.S. Embassy or consular agencies.

Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Embassy’s website for updated travel information. Please also consult the Country Specific Information for Mexico as well as the Department of State’s Travel Warning for Mexico, available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens in Mexico, please contact the U.S. Embassy or the closest U.S. Consulate.  The numbers provided below for the Embassy are available around the clock.  The U.S. Embassy is located in Mexico City at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtemoc, telephone from the United States: 011-52-55-5080-2000; telephone within Mexico City: 5080-2000; telephone long distance within Mexico 01-55-5080-2000.

You may also contact the Embassy by e-mail at: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov .  The Embassy’s internet address is www.mexico.usembassy.gov. U.S. citizens in other areas of Mexico should seek the assistance of the U.S. Consulates or Consular agencies located throughout the country. Click on the following to find a directory of Consulates and Consular Agencies.

* * * *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read on, MacDuff.

2 Responses to Absentee Voting Information for US Citizens in Mexico – The Article

  1. Pingback: Yucatan Living » News » Yucatan News: End of Days of the Dead

  2. chco says:

    i love mexico

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.