Living in Mexico

This category covers Immigration Issues, Importing Cars & Household Goods, Working Here, Issues Involving Buying Property, etc.

Access Individual Articles by clicking items below,
Click on “Living in Yucatan / Mexico” in the Page Header

Mexican FMMs, FM2s, FM3s: DIY?

Merida INM Requirements for FM2s & FM3s

Capital Gains Taxes on Mexican Properties

INM’s New Visa Application Procedure

Notes: The articles on Dengue / Dengue Fever, Emergency Phone Numbers, & English-Spanish Emergency Phrases are under the Page Header Category: “Science & Health Issues”
* * * *
Feel free to copy with proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read-on MacDuff . . .

10 Responses to Living in Mexico

  1. Ron Russell says:

    A little different question for you.

    We have a Vitamix food processor that was brought down from the USA. It is rated 11.5 amps, 110V.

    Do we need to use a voltage regulator with this appliance for use in Mexico?

    I understand the need for a regulator for desktop computers and sound systems but does a motor driven appliance need one?

    Thanks for any advice.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Ron,
      Disclaimer, Disclaimer, Disclaimer – we are glad to help, but cannot guarantee what will work in your home or apartment, because of all the truly unique, unexpected, & unpredictable (aka wacky) electrical wiring and CFE issues in Mexican homes.

      I sort of remember that older Vitamix food processors do NOT have any electronic controllers – just a simple cord, on-off switch, and heavy duty motor – True? If so, the motor should be fine, as long as your house has less than 135V AC on each “127V” leg. AC motors might be fine with voltages higher than 135VAC, but I would do it very cautiously – paying attention to any burning smells, growling, over-revving, ….???

      I have seen some neutral (supposedly zero volts) legs of CFE systems that actually float at 5 – 7 VAC – and if your electrical or electronic device has a shunting capacitor / resistor between the neutral leg (fat post on a 3 prong outlet) and physical ground (round post on a 3 prong outlet) – I have seen those shunting / filtering devices become smoke generators – or the floating leg can cause microwave oven transformers to literally explode their guts inside the oven case…

      To the best of my memory, Vitamix mixers do not have these shunting capacitors / resistors and should not care if your house’s neutral leg is floating.

      Disclaimer, disclaimer, steve

  2. Ron Russell says:

    Thanks, I think we should be all right considering your response and another I have received.

  3. Mike Welch says:

    hello I just found this website off my CozumelmyCozumel. My wife and I are planning to move to Cozumel in June when I retire. several questions we wee planning on driving down with our 2008 Jeep wrangler but I saw on your website there is a $400.00 to $500.00 fee and then a 16% tax on the value of the vehicle. How do they determine this. I did a rough calculation and it was about $3000.00 if thats true then I’m thinking it might be better to buy a vehicle there. Question two do we now have to apply for an FM3 in Cozumel or can wedo it through the Mexican Consulate here in Denver.
    Thank you I’m sure more questions will come up and I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions from ex-pats out there

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Mike,
      You can import your vehicle one of 2 ways: Temporary Import permit or Permanent Import Permit. The Temporary Import permit is good for as long as you keep your FM2 or FM3 Rentista visa renewed. You do agree to take the car back out of Mexico when your Rentista visa expires. Past Aduana reports describe using NADA Dealer values for valuing cars: a high number, and then stiff taxes on that number. If you want to permanently import the vehicle, you typically find $2,000 – $3000 to import the approved 8 & 9 year old vehicles, and $5,000 – $7,000(???) in taxes and fees for a newer vehicle.

      Merida has lots of good used vehicles at modest prices. Cancun and the Costa Maya? Lo no se…

      Mexican Consulates have not issued visas for the past 3 years. You apply online first, entering your personal information (see Yucalandia’s article on FMM, FM2s and FM3s), to start the process, then when you reach the border – and tell them of your plans to get an FM3, they give you an FMM turista. You go to your destination in Mexico, and then lock-in your application by visiting your local INM office within 30 days of entering Mexico – with the documents, letter, and copies described in our immigration article (FMMs, FM2s, and FM3s).

      When you plan your ride down from Denver, we suggest taking a central route through Mexico – taking fast safe well-maintained highways down to Queteraro – not taking the slow coast route with its 100’s of little towns and 15 mph speed limits and 1,000’s of topes. Day 1: Border to Queretaro, Day 2: Queretaro – Arco Norte towards Puebla – Vera Crua – Villehermosa, Day 3: Villehermosa – Escarcega – etc to Cozumel…
      Tell us how it went.

      • Chris says:

        Hello Mike

        I just drove the route Steve is suggesting crossing the border on Jan 5 and it worked great.We crossed at bridge #2 in Laredo and everything worked perfect. Well one clich, we thought we could get our FMM and vehicle permit at the 30km check point but that turned out to be wrong. We had to head back to the border and get it in Nuevo Laredo, the Aduana is between the 1st and 2nd bridge crossing.

        The route is about 950km’s a day. When in Queretaro take a cab and go see the aquaduct and historical area of Queretaro.

  4. Jim says:

    If I visit MX every year staying for several months on an FN visitor’s permit am I allowed under MX law to buy a MX registered car there ?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Jim,
      1. You would enter on a Visitante Visa (180 days).

      2. The form we all use to register exits & reentries is called an FMM.

      3. Yes, you can buy a car here, but registering & licensing it as a foreigner on a Visitante Visa is prohibited by most (nearly all) Mexican States.

      So, as long as the insurance is paid, and the car remains currently registered in a Mexican’s name, or a Residente Temporal visa holder or Residente Permanente visa holder’s name … then yes, you can buy the car and operate it.

      Though it’s kind of a No-Man’s-Land situation – and the person who holds the registration could take the car at any time.

  5. Keith says:

    I want to permanently import my ATV into mexico, should I change my title into my wifes name as she is Mexican? Or should I leave in mine or does it matter?

Leave a Reply to Ron Russell Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.