US Requirements for American Owners of Foreign Businesses to File BE-10 Forms

June 2, 2015
Current News Update for American Expats: There are reports around the internet describing severe penalties for American owners of foreign corporations who have not yet filed US Commerce BE-10 forms.

In particular, some sharp readers are asking if we are required to file BE-10 forms for their Mexican corporations that hold their personal real estate, homes, properties.

I drilled into the US Govt’s BE-10 website and found that  “NO”,  “a U.S. person that does not meet the reporting requirements  and that has not been contacted by BEA   is not required to report any BE-10 form to BEA.”

From the official Instructions on filling out a BE-10:
“Ownership of foreign residential real estate by a business enterprise, the sole purpose of which is to hold the real estate for the personal use of the owner(s) of the business enterprise,    is considered to be real estate   held for personal use and   therefore not subject to the reporting requirements.

For Americans who do own 10% of a foreign business that is not a corporation for personal real estate: Yes, you do have to file a BE-10 by June 30, 2015 for any foreign business enterprise owned in 2014.

Why now? One legal accounting website describes:   “As this is a “benchmark year,” this reporting is required of all relevant persons, regardless of whether the Reporter has been contacted.”

We have written a detailed article on this that you can read at:

Requirements for US Citizens Who Own a Foreign Business or Corporation – 2015 BE-10 Filing

*            *            *             *
Disclaimer: This information is not meant as legal advice. It is for educational and informational purposes only. Government policies vary between States and offices, and Mexican Government officials have broad discretion in how they individually enforce policies, so, your personal experiences may vary. See a professional for advice on important issues.

*         *         *         *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to US Requirements for American Owners of Foreign Businesses to File BE-10 Forms

  1. Joshua Raoch says:

    If I’m a US person and I invest in a mexican private debt security–and I receive interest income–what tax rate to I pay on my interest income? For example, if I lend a mexican business $100 and it pays me 10% interest annually…my investment interest income would be $10. So, what tax rate should I expect to pay on that $10 of interest income

    Josh Roach

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.