INM DF Central Hotline Gives Consistent Answers on FM3/FM2 to Permanent Resident Questions

Nov 14, 2012 Update
Our full article on the New Immigration Rules for Mexico is at:
New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico – Nov. 11, 2012
* * * *
Surviving Yucatan has been receiving some really fine reports from expats around Mexico, describing how the 2011 INM law and new regs are actually working. Since these reports are entered in the Comments section of either of 1 post or 2 articles, some readers may not see all of them. We especially liked the details and thorough-ness of one reader’s efforts.

Here is that novel set of comments:

Gary writes: (11/14/2011)
I called the Hotline in DF four separate times today to see if I would get a different answer when speaking to another agent than the first one this morning, and, the answer from the four was the same;

1) When renewing, you can renew from one to four years, depending on how long you want to stay. If you have two years on your current visa and only want to renew for two years, that’s fine.
~ At the end of the four years total (does not matter whether the first year or two or three were FM2 or FM3), you may then request a change to Residente Permanente based on four years residence;
however, if you are here as a rentista no lucrativo, you will be asked to provide six bank statements** to prove that you have the monthly minimum required for Permanente ($2500 US ??)

2) You do not have to change to Permanente, just as you are not required to do now.
At the expiration of you Temp Visa, you may renew for 1-4 years at your discretion and stay in the country indefinitely. However each four years (if you renew for four years) you will have to once again show bank statements for six months showing the minimum monthly is being met. You do not have to leave the country and reapply in the US or Canada. You renew as you currently do forever…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Wow, your repeated questions got some pretty tight answers, detailing the precise conditions of possible paths to change from a current FM2 or FM3 permit to a Residente Permanente permit.

I especially like the distinction that Gary drew out by questioning around how their might be differences between lucrativo FM3/FM2s vs rentista no lucrativo FM3/FM2 permit holder requirements. This might explain why some applicants are being asked to show bank statements, and others do not show bank statements. ??

Are any readers out visiting the regional offices finding confirmation of the requirements/rules they described to Gary?

One local Merida report, from an expat residency applicant, says that the local INM offices are NO LONGER doing final approvals or laminating Tarjetas de Residencia any more. Each application is now sent to a central office in DF, where they cross-check the applicant’s information, issue a final approval, and print and laminate the Tarjeta de Residencia (Residency Card).

These extra steps involving some central INM office in DF are reported to extend the whole application and approval process out to a total of 30 days (or more?).

If some central INM office in DF is reviewing all applications, then maybe they will have final say over approving the variations in requirements being reported from different regional INM offices?

Yet more fun things to wait-and-see how they are resolved.

Anybody else experiencing similar things or reading similar first-person reports?

* * * * * * *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read on, MacDuff.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to INM DF Central Hotline Gives Consistent Answers on FM3/FM2 to Permanent Resident Questions

  1. Ric Hoffman says:

    “….if you are here as a rentista no-lucrative you will be asked to provide six bank statements” This statement tells me the Residente Permanente application is based on income and not residency completed, Also, making a blanket statement without qualifying the multiplier is useless, is it 400 times for Residente Temporal or is it 500 for Residente Permanente. I am going to bet its 500, time under FM3 Visitante does is not time as a resident, so of course you meet the qualifications, but under Articulo 44 of the Lineamientos 500 times the daily wage either banks statements for 6 months or proof of income letter.

  2. Hello,

    Here is my question: I’m 42 and not looking to retire yet and have some challenges choosing the right “status” for me and my family. I wonder if can provide to Mexican Immigration a sufficient account balance instead of monthly income? Any info on this?

    Kind Regards JR

    • yucalandia says:

      If you click the link at the top of this post, it takes you to our article that has this information.
      New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico – Nov. 11, 2012

      You are interested in applying for a Residente Temporal. “Page down” through the article to look for the sections describing the requirements and qualifications need to get a Residente Temporal card. The specific section you are looking for says:
      Various Types of Proof of Financial Independence for Residency Applicants:

      **Residente Temporal Income or Deposits or Bank Balance Requirements:
      (Manual/Lineamientos Article 41)
      ~ Documentation of Proof of Financial Independence by Average Bank Balance: Provide 12 months of original bank statements (plus copies) as proof savings/investments, to show minimum Average Monthly Balance amounts equivalent to twenty thousand days of the general minimum wage in the District Federal for the previous twelve months…
      … Average Monthly Balance of $95,892 USD at $13:1 MXN:USD for Residente Temporal.

      Happy Trails,

    • Leo says:

      I would like to add and ask if a stock portfolio will work instead?

      • yucalandia says:

        Formally, they can require that it only be pension income or savings.

        If your stock portfolio statements are printed out by a formal brokerage house, on company letterhead, documenting dates, and starting and ending portfolio $$ values, then they may accept them – but it’s up to the individual Consulates.


  3. Rosie says:

    Is anyone able to confirm that those wishing to become temporary/permanent residents based on a family relationship with a Mexican (vinculo familiar), there is *no longer* a requirement to prove solvencia economica? It is not on the list of required documents and I just want to be doubly sure before we leave the U.S. that we won’t need to bring bank statements (which wouldn’t prove much anyway- ha!). Thanks!

    • yucalandia says:

      Since some regional offices are using their own office-specific requirements, I would bring the statements. As a Familiar INM permit holder, I was required to bring in financial proof of my wife’s fiscal solvency, along with a letter from her promising to be financially responsible for me. (plus a copy of her IFE card – both sides). So, to be on the safe side, I would bring the bank statements just in case.
      Happy Trails,

      • Rosie Campos says:

        We’re actually going to be residing in Buctzotz, so Merida will be our local INM office. If you hear anything concrete on whether the solvencia economica requirement (in Merida) still stands in light of the new law, would you mind posting it? 🙂

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi Rosie,
        Yes, we have the full information listed in our main article on Visiting Mexico or Immigrating to Mexico at: New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

        To save you from searching all of a fairly large article that details the myriad of details about coming here, please enjoy this brief summary:
        Minimum Required Temporary Resident Monthly Deposits are about $1,918 USD ($24,932 pesos)
        Minimum Required Permanent Resident Monthly Deposits are about $2,397 USD ($31,165 pesos)

        Minimum Required Temporary Resident Average Annual Balance is about $95,892 USD ($1,246,600 pesos)
        Minimum Required Permanent Resident Average Annual Balance is about $119,865 USD ($1,558,250 pesos).

        You can also meet the requirement for Residente Temporal by owning about $191,784 USD ($2,493,200 pesos) worth of Mexican real estate.

        The peso amounts are the precise values, so, you have to convert them using whatever the current Exchange Rate is at that time… which is $12.96 pesos per USD right now.

        You mention “Merida requirements”. The financial independence/solvency requirements are the same across Mexico. Most (all?) regional offices do reduce these requirements by 1/2 if you own property here.

        When do you move to Yucatan’s rolling farm country (Buctzotz)?


  4. Lopo says:

    Steve, have you heard from anyone concerning getting an appt. with the consulate in their home country? The Orlando consulate’s website has a very brief description of the process, but doesn’t say how to get the application we’re required to bring to the interview nor how go get the interview appointment. I’ve emailed and left a phone message but so far have not heard anything from them.

  5. Ric Hoffman says:

    Auto correction should read Tipo de visa. Select either Spanish or English file to open from the link above.

    • Lopo says:

      Now we’re back to where I started this morning, with no clear instructions as to which “application” they want, and then this: “Comply with original or certified documents required according to the type of visa requested.” Hullo! So now to find which original or certified documents they are talking about for a Temporary Resident (no lucrative) visa. 😦 I am losin’ it here.

  6. Gary says:

    Question regarding monthly income requirements for Permanente. From all that I have read, qualifing for Permanente via income requirement is: roughly $2500 per month with six month’s bank statements. If one has a spouse, is the additional income required $500 monthly, bringing it to $3000 US monthly???

    • yucalandia says:

      You are correct – as these are the national level rules. Individual regional offices can implement their own variations. Our Merida office is cutting the income requirements in half ( 1/2 ) for homeowners who have valid FM2 and FM3 Rentista permits.

  7. Trisha says:

    Has anyone had experience dealing with the residente permanente application?
    I make about $2200/month, which is not enough for the financial requirements. However, I have several thousand dollars in savings. If I just moved some of that money over to my checking account each month, to keep a $2500 deposit balance, would that work?
    Not sure if the monetary requirements has to come from paystubs/income only made within that month (as opposed to savings deposits).

    Thanks so much!

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Trisha,
      Some gringos seeking to skirt the requirements of the law have done this in the past. As a result, a number of INM offices and some consulates have shifted to requiring that the applicant prove that the income comes from pension payments – requiring people to get letters from the Social Security agency or pension plan company proving the source of their pension income.

      When you sign your letter asking to apply for Permament Residency, the letter has a line that says you take an oath: agreeing that everything in your application is “the truth”.


  8. dortman says:

    INM Issue – Never received at land border crossing in Reynosa.
    I received in the U.S. Permanent Resident status based on financials & being retired.
    Now I’m in the country with the clock ticking (Sept. 10 will be 30 days). and I cannot get my Canje handled since I don’t show I ever entered the country. Obviously big oversight on my part!!!
    There is no way now that we are in Playa del Carmen that we can drive back to Reynosa. The INM office here said I need to go back to the states & reapply. I’m ok with that just to solve the problem. Unfortunately with my husband having Temporary Status I hate to leave without knowing I can reapply. NO ONE is responding to my emails & phone messages asking if that is ok at the Los Angeles Consulate or the smaller office in Santa Ana I went to that granted it. Am I the first person to have this mess??? Please does anyone know what the rules are for reapplying even if I never used the first entrance visa?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Dortman,
      … Since you still have the valid UNUSED Canje visa … why not go down to Chetumal (the Subteniente Lopez crossing at Santa Elena) .. walk out of Mexico to the bridge to the Belize Free Zone of Corazol … and walk straight back into Mexico (without crossing the bridge or not) – and CHECKING IN with INM USING YOUR CANJE VISA as you walk back in to Mexico … (saying nothing about the prior entry at Reynosa)

      That would seem to “touch all the bases” … where you get officially registered into the INM computer using the Canje visa, and you then go into your local INM office (PDC or Cancun?) and continue as if nothing out of the ordinary happened ???

      No, there are other people we know who made this error (entering Mexico on a Visitors visa versus using their Canje visa).

      Did you register a TIP car with Aduana on your visa when you entered Mexico at Reynosa? If so, you need to also shift/renew the car’s TIP when you go to the Chetumal/Belize border.


      Have I mis

      • dortman says:

        Thanks for your response! I’m glad I’m not the only one, but unfortunately I did not even enter as a Visitor since my passport is not stamped. The one thing we’re learning is there are no real rules or answers when it come to many things. With that being said I decided to go back to reapply since the Consulate in the states said that is allowed and right now flights are reasonable. Such a bummer though. My husbands Canje is already in process and our understanding was they have an Aduana office in PDC that he can go to to get his TIP, I believe. At least we truly hope so, but he needs his Temporary Card before he applies. This has definitely been a humbling experience so far.

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi Dortman,
        There were some opportunities to get a TIP renewed at Aduana offices (like PDC) in the past, but I don’t know the current status.

        In theory, you should be able to take his new RT visa into an Aduana office, with a formal letter requesting that the current TIP’s expiration date be extended to match his new RT visa expiration date. If the TIP has expired, you may have to make a trip to the Chetumal/Belize border Aduana office to cancel/surrender the old TIP and get a shiny new one.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.