Moving to Mexico: FMM, FM2, FM3, or Inmigrado?

See our main current article on  ~ Current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

for current information

OLD Original post:
LATEST UPDATE: President Calderon just signed an all new Immigration Law yesterday. The new law pretty much overturns most of all the previous Mexican Immigration Regulations, Rules, and Procedures for people intending to stay in Mexico, but things look similar for temporary visitors like tourists and business visitors.


Please See: New Immigration Law Published for Mexico for more details.

(Soon to be out of date ) Abstract of Current Policies:
FMM, FM2, FM3, or Inmigrado?

What’s the best immigrant status for you?

How does Mexican Immigration work?

If you’re reading this, you’ve either chosen-to or are thinking-about moving to Mexico, and changing from 180 day FMMs (“tourist” or “business” visas) by applying for residency (FM2 or FM3 status).

Good for you!

Why? Mexico can be a great place to live, and now is an especially good time to make the change with the latest rule changes, plus, the staff at our local Merida INM office are very helpful, friendly, and easy to deal with.

Read the full article to learn about the differences how between FMMs, FM2s, FM3s, & Inmigrado status; how to apply for an FM2 or FM3; and also learn the benefits and requirements of immigrating to Mexico.

*              *             *             *
Full text of article can be read at: (or access under Living in Yucatan (see header) )

*              *             *             *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read-on MacDuff . . .

This entry was posted in Living in Mexico - Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Moving to Mexico: FMM, FM2, FM3, or Inmigrado?

  1. calliope101 says:

    Hey, Steve,
    Just discovered your blog and am certainly glad I found you again! Thanks for all your researching and informative articles. Keep up the good work!

  2. Curtis Lowe says:

    Which historical site is in the above pic?

  3. Tammy Castillo says:

    My question is what do if I came home with my FMM and it has not been paid for. I came home on the bus and the driver told me to turn it in and pay at the bridge but when we got there we were already in the USA. The USA Immigratiion said it should have been turned it a ways back while we were still in MX. So what do I do so I want have trouble going back to MX? Will there be a big deal over that…I just listened to the bus driver. Thanks alot for your help.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Tammy,
      The “new” computerized Inmigracion processes will likely flag your re-entry attempt into Mexico, and you will possibly owe a fine/fee/penalty to re-enter Mexico under a new FMM. Reports from around the internet describe $3-$5 USD per day in fines for overstaying FMMs, and there are also reports of $40 – $200 USD fines for forgetting to pay the original fee, and forgetting to turn it in when you leave Mexico. There are also reports of people who did not follow FMM requirements, re-entering with no problems. Best of Luck!

  4. Maryinez says:

    Question concerning dependent invalid husband. We have been given Mexican visas entitled ;Ni/Vis/Rentista/nlu/hasta365dias Obtener en INAMI forma migratoria’ . We own a house in Merida. My husband has had a stroke and can neither talk nor write…he is my economic dependent. I have been informed by the Mexican Consul in Kenya that when I arrive in Merida in early March, I am to go to the immigration office and apply for residency status. I wonder which category that will be? I have also been informed by the Consul that he cannot stamp a menaje de casa for shipping our household from Kenya to Progreso until AFTER we have arrived in Mexico. Do you know what might happen if our shipment arrives at Progreso port BEFORE we have been able to obtain the stamped menaje de casa from the Mexican Embassy in Kenya? Thanks very much for your extremely helpful website.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Maryinez,
      Our Merida INM is saying that the new INM law and new Reglamentos will take effect on Jan. 2, 2012. Since the Reglamentos have not been issued yet, no one quite knows how they will work. You would seemingly apply for Residente Temporal Rentista status.

      Our Mexican Consulate made us jump through a bunch of hoops before approving our Menaje de Casa, but when Aduana looked at our load, they completely waved-off our Menaje de Casa and did not want it. As you will likely be bringing in your household goods through the port at Progreso, I would contact your Customs broker agent in Progreso to ask how they will handle the list. Mexican Consulates are notorious for giving advice and making requirements that the individual Aduana offices handle completely differently.

      Currently, you MUST have an approved No Inmigrante (FM3) before you can get the exemption on bringing in a load of household goods with a Menaje de Casa. If the new Reglamentos handle importing household goods works the same way, you would have to get your Residente Temporal “visa” first, and then resolve the menaje de casa approval issue. E-mail/talk with your customs broker.

  5. Amy says:

    Hello i have heard you can change fmm to fm2. Or fm3 in mexico where and how do i fo this in mexico. Is it at any consulate office and how long do i have to apply. What is needed also. Any help much appreciated as i am going to mexico soon. I am british and know that i will be given fmm on arrival or i can get form in mexico.

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Amy,
      The article you chose is an old-archival article.
      I would read our main article on immigration and visiting Mexico at:

      An FMM is just a generic paper form that all foreigners use when exiting/entering Mexico – regardless of your visa type.

      FMM literally means Forma Migratoria Multiple.
      If you are a US or Canadian citizen, you can enter Mexico without needing a pre-approved visa. Check your country’s visa-treaty status with Mexico on Wikipedia to see if your country is one of the 65 who has a treaty with Mexico … at:

      As being “british” can mean any number of things (Scottish, Welsh, English, Channel Islander, et al), we can’t say whether your country has a treaty with Mexico.

      If your country has a reciprocal visa-treaty with Mexico, then Mexico automatically issues up to a 180 day tourist/visitors visa to tourists. In general, You cannot change from a visitors visa to residency.

      You must exit Mexico and apply for a residency visa at a Mexican Consulate, unless you are:
      ~ married to a Mexican citizen
      ~ have immediate Mexican family member relatives.

      Read details at our main article listed above, as I suspect you may want to apply for a Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente visa at your local (“british”) Mexican Consulate before coming here. (???)

      Happy Trails,

Leave a Reply to Amy Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.