Our full article on the New Immigration Rules for Mexico is at:

I talked with an INM supervisor and an experienced agent for an hour yesterday at our Merida office, and confirmed the following things for how Merida INM is handling residency applications.

1. They confirmed that all current FM2 and FM3 permit holders get full credit for time they have completed on their current permit. 2. If you want a Residente Permanente card, FM2 and FM3 years count towards the 4 years of Residente Temporal requirement.
3. FM2 and FM3 holders are asked to submit a cover letter describing that you want a “renovacion” of your current permit, changing to either Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente.
4. FM2 holders with Familiar/spouse status are eligible to apply for Residente Permanente after completing 2 years on their FM2.
5. The income requirements for proving fiscal independence are cut in half (1/2) for both home-owning Residente Permanente and Residente Temporal applicants who already have valid Inmigrante Rentista or No Inmigrante Rentista permits. This same condition is being reported from Yucalandia readers across Mexico.
6. They are generally not requiring bank statements from people who already have their FM2 Rentista or FM3 Rentista. They do however, reserve the right to ask for proof of sufficient income.
7. New applicants for Residente Permanente or Temporal (who have no current FM2 or FM3) are required to show proof of sufficient income.
8. If you have a “Lucrativo” category of prior INM permit, then you likely have to show bank statements. e.g. Permisos para realizar actividades remuneradas , have different requirements than Rentistas or Jubilados.
9. When you enter your information into the INM website, prior to going to your local office: One block of information is actually a Formato Basico, so most people do not have to fill out a Formato Basico at the INM office.
10. Bring the standard stuff on your first visit to the INM office: Letter, copies of key passport pages, passport, current INM card, but NO bank statements. They will ask for these later if they decide they want them.

Our full article with all the details on the New Immigration Rules for Mexico is at:

* * * * * * *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read on, MacDuff.

22 Responses to INM Regional Office Requirements for Getting Mexican Residency and Immigration Rules – Updates

1. Bill Phelan says:

Steve,
    What about new applications for Residente Temporale, does it still look like that must be done in your country of origin?

2. Gary says:

That with what was expected, i.e., time on FM2 or FM3 would count toward the 4 year residency requirement. There is mention in the new law about applying for Permanente based soley on income without having completed 4 years residency. DF said it was possible, but………. So, regardless of what one might think, current holders of FM3/FM2 still must meet 4 year requirement to qualify for Permanent. Is that correct? And after having met the 4 year requirement, does one still have to prove income to transition to Permanente or are years accumulated enough?

3. Pingback: Permanent Residency Requirements | Living in Cancun & Riviera Maya Forum

4. Birgit says:

I just returned from Immigration office here in rosarito, Baja California Norte… I was on my 3 rd year of Fm3 and they told me that those years would count and I only needed now one year residents temporal visa before changing!,,,so this most recent article is correct….the had a very specific letter I had to write..different wording than the letters I saw on Internet…..no income proof required by this office for me.

• Birgit (or others): do you have an example of the letter in Spanish that you needed to write, to request a change from FM3 to temporary resident? Or does anybody have an example of the letter for a change from 4+ years FM3 to permanent resident? Thanks!

• Birgit says:

Yes…send me an email at b.m.gabig@gmail.com…..
        Every immigration office seems to have its own peculiar wording requirements though…I had originally used the sample that Rolly Brook posted on his website…but they rejected it in Rosarito… Here in Rosarito they are also extremely finicky about the passport pictures….I had taken them here in Mexico by a prof. Photo studio and they rejected it…still too much hair in my face even thoujgh there was none…now I have. To retake those..

5. h. says:

Excellent ! Thank you, I just share you web site on Whatsupmaz.org Forum of the expats of Mazatlan State of Sinaloa. Here too, every one is very curious about the new law ! We’ll have special information réunion next Thursday. People here are concerned about the US or Can registered car in Mexico.

6. Joe says:

I had spent one year in ¨No Inmigrante¨ status, followed by two in ¨Inmigrante¨ status. When I saw that the new law provided for permanent residency, based on points, I decided to proceed on that basis at renewal time. Today I submitted my documents for ¨cambio a residente permanente, basado en puntos.¨ They carefully reviewed the 23 exhibits I presented in support of my application, then agreed to proceed with it. I live in the State of Quintana Roo.

Great that it worked out for you.

Can you provide a summary of the 23 exhibits you presented, that seem to have convinced them to proceed with your application? You might have qualified under one of the items listed in our main article on Mexico’s New Immigration practices. e.g. If you have over $2,400 USD per month in pension income, that alone could qualify you.

Which INM office did you apply at?
      Some individual INM offices are applying some “special” local requirements that differ from national policies.

Have you seen our main article at: New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico – Nov. 11, 2012 ?

7. Joe says:

I was working from the list of things to be considered under the points system: taken on their face, they would be the same everywhere, though approving an application for permanent residency, based on points, does finally involve a judgment on the part of INM.

Artículo 124. El sistema de puntos para que las personas extranjeras puedan adquirir la residenciapermanente, establecerá criterios de selección para atraer personas extranjeras inversionistas o con alta competencia en áreas como la ciencia, la tecnología, el deporte, las humanidades y las artes o aquellos que fortalezcan y fomenten el desarrollo y competitividad en el territorio nacional.

Artículo 125. Los criterios de selección podrán incorporar, entre otras, las siguientes categorías:
    I. Nivel educativo;
    II. Experiencia laboral en áreas de interés para el país que tengan gran demanda y poca oferta;
    III. Experiencia laboral en otras áreas;
    IV. Inversionista;
    V. Aptitudes en ciencia y tecnología;
    VI. Reconocimientos o premios internacionales;
    VII. Dominio del idioma español, y
    VIII. Conocimiento de la cultura mexicana.
    La Secretaría establecerá mediante disposiciones administrativas de carácter general que se publicarán en el Diario Oficial de la Federación, las categorías; la ponderación de puntos que corresponda a cada categoría; así como el puntaje mínimo que se requiera para ingresar por esta vía.
    __________________
    I attempted to offer some evidence as to each item above, with the focus of the evidence being an effort to establish my eligibility under the rubric of “aquellos que fortalezcan y fomenten el desarrollo”: I could offer nothing in the way of items numbered V. and VI., but I had something to offer on each of the other points. As for point IV., I included my condo.

The heavy emphasis in my application was in my education and work (I’m a university professor), and the bulk of my documents related to these things.

I included no financial information of any kind, as the point system does not require it, as I read it: the value of my condo, though included, is well below that required for permanent residency. I have no Mexican children, am not married to a Mexican, have not spent four years in temporary residency, etc. I was relying strictly on the point system in this application.

The thing that persuaded them to open a case for me was my letter, written entirely by me, and submitted with whatever errors it may contain. In it, I spelled out my motives for wanting to be here permanently, and those things I’d done over the three years of temporary residency in pursuit of that goal.

• Joe says:

On the 12th this application was advanced to the “ha sido clasificado” stage, which I have always interpreted as tantamount to approval: we’ll see what happens, and if the processing can be completed prior to the big break INM will take at Christmas.

• Joe says:

I have now received the online notice to report to INM to complete the process to receive permanent residency, based on points, so the tramite appears to be moving forward in the usual fashion.

8. Jerry Metheny says:

_____
    Editor’s note to Jerry ~ This post was entered empty ~ (try again?)

9. Joe says:

“Have you seen our main article at: New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico – Nov. 11, 2012? Steve”

Yes, I have, and I appreciate all the effort you go to to provide accurate information about the new laws and regulations. It takes a lot of time to dig through all the new legislation, and it’s nice you’re willing to do it. I’ve followed your website for some time, and consider it to be among the most authoritative on many subjects, including this one.

10. Jo says:

I applied for my Inmigrado 3 years ago and am still waiting for it. How does the new law effect me?

Hi Jo,
      We really don’t have enough information from you to say what has happened or what you should do.
      Did you apply for your Inmigrado (Permanent Residency) at your local INM?

How do you know that you were dis-approved or approved?

If you did not get approved, and you live in Mexico, then you have been living here illegally. Hopefully, you either were approved, and you did not complete the process or you were disapproved, and you need to start over and apply for Residente Temporal, unless you are a family member or spouse of a Mexican or are a refugee. These are the most likely options, based on only the very sketchy partial information you submitted.

• Jo says:

I just found out that I was disapproved because I was out of Mexico more than allowed. They are now telling me that I can automatically get a permanent resident card by paying $8,000 pesos.
        Do I need to get a permanent resident card before I apply for citizenship or can I skip this step? Also, my husband has an Inmigrado card. Does he have change to the new card? They want $5,500 pesos for that. Thanks.

11. Jim Gildersleeve says:

Thanks Steve for the clear straight forward info.