Consulate Requirements for Residente Permanente or Temporal Card Lost Abroad

July 30, 2014

This article lists the official INM requirements for applying for a temporary entrance visa at a Mexican Consulate (to return to Mexico legally), in case of a lost, stolen, or destroyed Residente Permanente card or Residente Temporal card while traveling outside Mexico.

If you lose your INM residency card whlie traveling abroad, do NOT try to enter Mexico under a “tourist”/Visitante/FMM – because INM can cancel your current temporary or permanent and charge you with visa fraud (trying to have 2 permits at the same time). Instead, go to a Mexican Consulate first, and give them: a copy of a police report (reporting the stolen card/wallet), ID photos & passport. Also plan to pay of a small fee.

We are presenting this as the original Spanish language Nov. 8, 2012 INM Lineamientos official DOF publication,  for people to print-out to give to the Mexican Consulates.  Original Chapter 4 of the Lineamientos can be found at:

Capítulo IV
Trámite 12
Expedición de visa por robo, extravío o destrucción de tarjeta que
acredita condición de estancia.
Caso en el que se presenta:
Aplicable a personas extranjeras que sufren en el exterior el robo,extravío o destrucción de la tarjeta de visitante o de residente queacredita su condición de estancia.
Fundamento jurídico:
Artículo 110 del Reglamento.
Formato de solicitud de visa ante la oficina consular.
Lugar donde se presenta:
Oficinas consulares de México.
Monto de los derechos:
El previsto en el artículo 22 de la Ley Federal de Derechos por laexpedición de la visa.
Las oficinas consulares cobrarán los derechos en la moneda extranjeraque autorice la Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público.
Plazo máximo para resolverel trámite:
10 días hábiles.
Vigencia máxima de la visa:
30 días.
Entradas permitidas:
Excepciones al artículo 15-A
de la Ley Federal de
Los señalados en las fracciones I y III del apartado de requisitos.
I.     Pasaporte o documento de identidad y viaje válido y vigente, en original y copia.
II.     Una fotografía con el rostro visible y sin anteojos, a color, tamaño pasaporte, cuyas medidas deberánser como mínimo de 32.0 milímetros x 26 milímetros y como máximo de 39.0 milímetros x 31.0milímetros, con fondo blanco y de frente.
III.    Original y copia de acta levantada ante la autoridad competente del lugar en el que ocurrió el robo,extravío o destrucción de la tarjeta que acredita su condición de estancia. De manera excepcional ysólo en el caso de que no sea posible levantar el acta ante la policía porque el país en el que seencuentra no la otorgue, original de un escrito donde, bajo protesta de decir verdad, declare haberlaextraviado o que le fue robada o destruida.
IV.   Original de la tarjeta que acredita su condición de estancia, en caso de destrucción parcial.
V.    Pago de derechos por la expedición de visa de conformidad con lo establecido en la Ley Federal deDerechos.
Criterios de Expedición:
–      La oficina consular deberá consultar en un plazo máximo de 2 días hábiles al Instituto, a partir de quela persona extranjera presente la solicitud, sobre la procedencia y términos en los que se deberáexpedir la visa.
–      El Instituto deberá dar respuesta en un plazo máximo de 5 días hábiles. En caso de ser procedente,deberá contener la siguiente información:
a.     Nombre de Extranjero;
b.     Nacionalidad;
c.     Información del tipo de residencia en México, y
d.     Instrucción explicita en la que señale la condición de estancia, la vigencia de ésta y laautorización a la oficina consular para que se emita la visa.
–      La oficina consular emitirá la visa que corresponda, en un plazo no mayor a 3 días hábiles.
Información importante para el usuario:
–      En los lugares destinados al tránsito internacional de personas por tierra, mar y aire, la personaextranjera deberá presentar el pasaporte o documento de identidad y viaje con visa, y entregar a laautoridad migratoria la FMM debidamente llenada.
–      Las personas extranjeras están obligadas a proporcionar la información y los datos personales queles sean solicitados por la autoridad competente en el ámbito de sus atribuciones.
–      La visa podrá ser utilizada exclusivamente durante el periodo de vigencia, que inicia con la fecha desu expedición y por el número de entradas indicadas.
–      La persona extranjera deberá tramitar dentro de los siguientes 30 días naturales contados a partir desu ingreso al territorio nacional, la reposición de la tarjeta que acredite su condición de estancia y lepermita permanecer en territorio nacional.
–      Los derechos que genere la reposición de la tarjeta que acredite su condición de estancia, secubrirán directamente ante el Instituto.
 *    *    *   *
Disclaimer: Note that all of this information is for educational and entertainment purposes only, it is not meant as legal advice. Please see a competent professional for all important INM questions, or contact INM or your local Mexican Consulate  to find out their current policies.

*     *     *     *

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.

Read-on MacDuff…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Consulate Requirements for Residente Permanente or Temporal Card Lost Abroad

  1. MeridaGOround says:

    Steve, 20 minutes ago we left the Mexican Consulate in Toronto (our second visit) where we have been granted Residente Permanente status (although it doesn’t become official until we enter Mexico, and visit INM, probably sometime in September. I will be reporting the experience at my blog AFTER we are official. It’s quite a tale to tell. I promise to be helpful, candid, and kind.

  2. Paul Leonard says:

    A number of us (Canadians and Americans) spend part of the winter in Mexico- 3-4 months. We are there as tourists, allowed a stay of up to 180 days. Many of us have purchased cars there for our use that are stored when not in Mexico. They are registered and plated in Mexico.
    Now it is being said that in order to renew your plates, you must have a CURP which can only be issued if you have temporary residency. None of us qualify as we do not stay in Nexico in excess of 6 months. We have checked with both the US and Canadian Consulates for Mexico.
    So none of us will ve able to renew as it now stands.
    Any advice or suggestions?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Paul,
      As some states (like Quintana Roo) are requiring CURP numbers (like a US social security number) to register and plate a car, you could:
      ~ Apply for Residente Permanente (if you have over about $130,000 USD in savings) – and never have to deal with visa stuff again. (see our main article on coming to Mexico:
      ~ Apply for Residente Temoporal – and do the INM dance annually
      ~ Sell your car to a trusted friend (on paper) who can register the car for you – but in their name
      ~ Sell the car to a local, and use the money to buy or bring a US or Canadian plated car and stay in an official free zone where foreigners only need current foreign registration and current foreign plates – like Baja California, Baja California Sur, and Quintana Roo.
      Happy Trails,

  3. Paul Leonard says:

    Thank you for responding. As indicated, we are not in Mexico for over 6 months, so ineligible to apply for Residente Temporal- is that correct?. I do have a trusted local that will be fine with putting the car in his name. I would continue paying for the fees, insurance, etc. My question now is the police stop cars from time to time checking for papers. If the car is no longer in my name – but all fees, etc., paid up, will that cause any problems?

  4. kristen says:

    hello, my name is kristen. i have been online looking for 2 friends of mine, emily and ryan (newie). they should be in the merida/yucatan area looking for me too. if you’ve heard of anything at all or know of someone who meets a lot of people passing through, please drop me a line and let me know…
    anything at all would help.
    thanks so much for your time,

  5. Diane Clinton says:

    We are Residente Permanente. I have lost the paper given upon exiting Mexico, what do I do ?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.