Updates on Temporary Import Permits from Mexico’s Aduana

Sept. 10, 2017

Aduana agents at various US-Mexico border crossings are shifting their stance on whether the US state registration paper is sufficient to get a Temporary Import Permit for US-plated vehicles.  In the past, US state registration paperwork was sufficient, but now many Aduana agents are also requiring that we submit a copy of the vehicle’s title. …  Most recently, the Nuevo Laredo & Columbia Bridge Aduana agents have been refusing to issue TIPs with US starte registration documents, unless the vehicle owner also supplies a copy of the vehicle title.

Further, the fine attorney Lic. Spencer McMullen explains some additional details about additional problems that can occur if you do get your TIP with just registration paperwork:  ….  ” The HUGE issue is that while you can technically get a TIP with the vehicle registration, without the title your car will sit in impound if towed due to improper parking or accident. 

An additional insight to handling the TIP process well:
“… Financed cars should get a US notary certified copy (of the title) with apostille to prepare for this eventuality. ”

So, as Aduana~SAT policies continue to evolve, we can save ourselves some hassles & headaches by following the latest guidance from good experts.

~ As in the past, Aduana officials recognize that Canadians do not get vdhicle titles, so their province’s registration papers are sufficient to get a TIP.

Happy Trails,

*       *       *       *       *       *       *
Full details on bringing vehicles into Mexico (Permanent Imports & Temporary Imports) can be found at:

Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico

*       *       *       *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read-on MacDuff . . .

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Updates on Temporary Import Permits from Mexico’s Aduana

  1. Mary Lou Halbach says:

    When we used to cross with a Texas plated vehicle from 2007 until we bought out car last year here in Mexico, I always provided a copy of the Texas title, and they had asked for it from 2007 on at Colombia bridge. In the last few years, they were getting picky about everything. They were tearing through our cargo trailer and at times asking us to unload it, during our loads to move down here beginning four years ago, even with a very detailed menaje de casa in hand. Twice they claimed our value was too low and we had to pay more impuestos on the total value at the 16% rate. They really don’t have a lot to do there, a lot of the time, so they have the time to do it. We now we cross at Nuevo Laredo and it is much quicker dealing with the authorities. The wait is not so bad going into Mexico if you get to the bridge early, but after the initial rush around 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on weekdays. The main differences are we have the Mexican plated car and my husband has his Residente Permenante: I am Mexican.

    Maria Luz

  2. Ron Reid says:

    Steve: This as you say, “Updates on Temporary Import Permits from Mexico’s Aduana” Sept 9th 2017 and 10th 2017, Is not new by any means, This is exactly as it was written in the customs manual from 2012. It is the same rules, maybe not enforced very well, but the same rules. Why are we calling it a update in the rules when they were already there? May be a good idea to let people know that, and they won’t be confused as I was when I read it, When I came 2 years ago my Idaho titles does not list the owner, I had to show title because of this, a lot of States don’r designate an owner or lien holder on the registrations, Read the rules as published, What you are claiming as an update has been there all along in the rules…

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Ron,
      The significant update to our understandings is the importance of using a title for a US plated vehicle when getting a TIP, to allow us to recover the vehicle if it is is and accident and is towed~impounded by the police.

      Fortunately, most of us will never encounter this twist, but forewarned is forearmed.

  3. Pingback: Tourist visa vs. resident visa – MOVE TO MEXICO!

  4. Patrick Hasburgh says:

    Trying to import 2015 Mini Cooper purchased in Guadalajara to So. California…possible? It is starting to sound like a nightmare.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s