Update on What to do if you lose your INM card

Sept. 15, 2016:
We wrote about the formal (past) procedures for what to do if you lose your INM card, especially when outside of Mexico.   The old details are at:  ”

Lost or Stolen Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal Card “

That previous post describes how to do it at a Mexican Consulate.
.Here’s a Fun New Alternative:
INM is NOW implementing a new system,  where the foreigner temporarily enters Mexico on a ‘tourist’ visitante visa,  and then goes immediately to their local INM office to get a replacement card.

Here’s the narrative of a person who recently successfully used the ‘new’ INM procedure:

The American lost both his CURP and Residente Permanente cards while in the USA.

Following the typical guidance from the SRE website, he went to a Mexican Consulate in Texas … but was not allowed into the Consulate  without an appointment.  He was told to go on line and request an appointment … but his flight was the next day, so he  just entered Mexico by air, explaining to the airport INM personnel that he had lost his RP card.

The INM people were quite nice, however, they said they could not let him into Mexico using his Permanente status without his card.  The INM agents at the airport explained  that he must enter Mexico (temporarily) using a VISITORs VISA…   They insisted that he would NOT lose his  Residente Permanente status if

~ He I went to his local INM office soon after arriving home in Mexico…  and

~ The INM border agents told him to request replacement card from his local INM office.

~  Then,  then INM agents at his local office should then call the airport (or border) INM office,   and

~ The airport INM would correct his visa entry status in the airport INM records.

Finally,  the fellow who lost his visa card explained how to go online and start the process of getting a replacement RP card,  before going to the local INM office:

  1.  Go online to www.inm.gov.mx/

    At the top banner of the page
    Select:  Tramites

    Select:  Migracion visa y Pasaporte

    Select:   Condiciones y estancia en Mexico

    Select:   Reposicion de documento migratorio

    Reposicion de Documento Migratorio por Perdida, robo o Deterioro.

  2. Print out the form online & take it in to your local INM office.
  3. INM accepts your request for a replacement RP card form and starts the process by giving you a payment document to take to a bank to pay $1108 pesos for replacing the lost card.
  4. Go pay the fee at a bank, and take the payment confirmation firm from the bank, back to your INM office., along with the original form for requesting a replacement card, copy of your passport and the original, and the ‘visitors visa’ card from the airport (or border).He was given an appointment for an interview for the next day.

At the next day’s appointment,  the INM agent accepted the forms, along with the Visa that was given to him when entering at the airport showing he entered as a tourist.  The local INM agent explained that they were instituting new procedures so people don’t have to start the Permanente process all over again.

INM is now  treating the lost card as being lost in Mexico.  He is supposed to return in about a week to be finger printed and should have his new Permanente card in about two more weeks.

*     *     *     *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read-on MacDuff . . .


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Update on What to do if you lose your INM card

  1. Pingback: Lost or Stolen Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal Card | Surviving Yucatan

  2. Joe says:

    Very nice to hear. An important change to law and procedure which again reflects what is intended to be a fairly generous immigration policy. With what’s been said in the Trump Campaign we’re lucky this attitude on the part of the Mexican Government still exists….

  3. HAL WEBB says:


    My wife and I find ourselves in a predicament and do not know where to turn for accurate information regarding converting our temporary residence card into a permanent residence card. Without describing the scenario in detail in this email …. Is it possible to open a dialogue with you regarding our situation? Your readers may find it interesting.


    Hal & Nina Webb

  4. Jim Knoch says:

    Hola Steven,
    Knowing my circumstance, a friend sent me this information today, on your blog, dated Sept. 15,2016. My wallet was stolen in Madrid, Spain in September and included was my Mexican
    Permanente card. I did not know to go to the local Mex. Council there, and assumed I could get a dup. when I returned to my home in San Miguel de Allende. We flew into Mexico City and after my explanation and displaying the policia report, he stamped my tourist card. The young man at our aduana office was very explicit that I am now considered a tourista and must return to a Mex. Conciliate in the U.S. and start the process all over. He would give me no other option. I’ve been a full time resident for nine years. Nothing I said would sway his opinion. He was not pleasant. I do hope the info noted above is current and correct. The link listed (http://www.inm.gov.mxSelect) shows “this site cannot be reached”). My wife and I are in the process of selling our home and building a new one. As you know, a tourista cannot purchase property. Can you direct me to the link for the proper site? Traveling to the states at this time would be very difficult. Thank you for a quick reply.
    Jim Knoch

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Jim,
      That INM clerk’s replies & decisions were legally correct…

      That’s why it’s seriously risky for Residente Visa holders to ever try to sneak through INM’s systems by using a Visitante (tourist) visa => visa fraud in the eyes of the law …. fraud by one person holding 2 visas at the same time.


      I know 2 people who have slipped through the system and made it work (to get replacement RP cards here in Mexico) … but there are no assurances …

      That’s why it’s helpful to hear stories of how this messy situation is working for others… short of going outside Mexico (USA, Belize, etc) to start the RP process from scratch….

      … steve

      • Jim Knoch says:

        Guess I don’t understand your reply. My situation seems to be the same as your example noted in the blog, where I entered Mexico temporarily using a visitors visa, because my Residente Permanente card was stolen outside of Mexico. Do I not qualify to use the procedure noted to obtain a replacement card? My email is jparkerknoch@gmail.com if you care to discuss and not take up the space on your blog. Thank you for your reply.

      • yucalandia says:

        Hi Jim,
        Your points are good.

        Unfortunately, only some offices are allowing RPs who lost their cards while abroad … are allowing us to return on visitors visas & go straight to your INM office to replace the missing card. … Other INM offices are requiring a trip to a Mexican Consulate.

        Contact your INM office… and contact the INM office where you plan to enter Mexico for guidance – because there is no single universal policy right now.


  5. Kara Dummer says:

    Hello Steven,

    I have a Residente Temporal card that expired in August. It is past the 55 day mark to renew and I don’t have the card with me at the moment either. So, i’m not sure that is even a possibility. Is it?

    I am currently in another country planning to visit friends in Mexico this week. What situation will I be in when I get to the airport?

    I assume they will just stamp me as a visitor and let me go on my merry way, is this correct?

    • yucalandia says:

      Hi Kara,
      It is up to the discretion of your local INM office. We have had our Merida INM office take pity on 2 different older friends, allowing them to renew their RT visas at 5 months and 6 months late, with only minor penalties of $500 & $700 pesos**, respectively.

      or… They also have the right to have you start over…

      Good Luck,

      **One INM agent at the Merida office said they could charge penalties of up to $50 pesos per day late, after the 55 day grace period for being outside of Mexico. … => negotiable ?

  6. Danh says:

    Hi Steve, I just had my wallet stolen last weekend in Merida, which included my Temp Res card. I filed a police report, knowing that I might need it to attempt to leave the country. My flight was yesterday….I was at the Merida airport and spoke to an INM agent there and explained my situation and he said with my police report and copy of my Temp Res card, I should be fine in D.F. once I connect there, to leave the country. When I got to DF, I spoke to INM agents there– the first one said that if I left, I would loose my Temp Res status. However, then his supervisor said that I could leave, and when I returned to Merida, I would return as a tourist, but that I could immediately take the police report to INM and request a “Recurso de Revision” to get a replacement card. He assured me that I would not lose my status as a Temp Res. I was very concerned about this, and asked him several times. However, he did have me sign an affidavit explaining my situation and stating that I was aware I would be returning on a tourist visa…….. So, my question– since it seems every INM agent has different info: What is the likelyhood that I just signed away my Temp Res? Do you think I should try to go to the Mx consulate in CA to request a permit to enter Mexico? Or is that only for folks who lost their card abroad? THANKS for all the great info.

    • yucalandia says:

      A good friend had his ID stolen in Florida.
      He explained all to INM Cancun airport when he entered. They give him a bad time for 30 minutes, but then allowed him to enter as a visitor.

      Me? I would have a request letter in Spanish, prepared for when you arrive in Mexico, include your name passport #, the number of your lost RT card (off the back), and make a request to enter as a visitante but that you must keep your RT status (explaining that your intent is to remain a Residente Temporal, … returning to Mexico get replacement RT visa card, … with no intent to hold 2 visas). Include copies of all documents. Write that you will go to INM in Merida within 14 days and apply for a replacement RT visa card.

      This approach may cause you to grovel and use your best negotiating skills to get back into Mexico.

      You can follow the instructions to go to your Consulate

      Happy Trails,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.