Lost or Stolen Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal Card

Sept. 5, 2016:
When we travel, sometimes we lose our Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal cards, or they get stolen.  What can we do?

When in Mexico, you go to your INM office, and apply for a replacement.

Editor’s Note:  Note that there are some important updates that can include NOT going to a Consulate… reported at:

Update on What to do if you lose your INM card

Continuing with the post:
When traveling outside Mexico,  the problems mount,  especially because many Mexican Consulates do not know how to handle these things.  Fortunately,  the ever-conscientious lawyer Lic. Spence McMullen has done the heavy-lifting and describes what we should do.

If you lose your Mexican immigration card outside Mexico you need a special visa to enter Mexico, …  if you enter as a tourist then they will cancel your old temporary or permanent.**

You need a police report, photo, passport and payment of a small fee.

I have been fighting with many Mexican consulates as they do not know what to do, I have made a sheet from their own manual telling them how to help foreigners in this situation, if you need it, print this file and bring it with you to avoid suffering consequences in Mexico for their bad advice. “

**If you mistakenly allow yourself to enter as a tourist, then INM will cancel your old temporary or permanent.  This is a HUGE deal … a big mistake …  because it ultimately  forces the foreigner to go back to a Mexican Consulate outside Mexico,  and START ALL OVER, reapplying for a new RT or RP visa…

Instead, when you lose your RT or RP visa card, you must go to a Mexican Consulate,  and apply for a special travel document to present to the INM agent at the port of entry, which allows the foreigner to re-enter Mexico without being re-classified as a tourist.


We offer that link to the 2012 INM Ley de Migración pages on this,  because many Mex. Consulates are not familiar with the requirements.  Show them this page when you go to the Consulate, to help their process along.

Unfortunately, this process can take from 2 days to a week,  so you may miss your flight as a consequence of losing your RT or RP card.

It is tempting to think that if you carry notarized black & white copies of your INM card, that it would be sufficient to re-enter Mexico (after losing the RT or RP card).  Unfortunately,  the INM agents say “No copies will be accepted, only your “tarjeta de Migración” is the valid form of documention we want to see” …

I wish the news was better…  so this post is a word-to-the-wise about taking good care of your RT or RP visa card.

Also read

Update on What to do if you lose your INM card

for more details on ADDITIONAL NEW OPTIONS…

*     *     *     *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read-on MacDuff . . .


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Lost or Stolen Residente Permanente or Residente Temporal Card

  1. Thank you . You knew more about Getting the Permanent Resident card than 2 lawyers that I went to at the beginning !! One lawyer said, NO that’s not the law, and I said maybe not but this is how it is ….and we did it your way and it worked beautifully and we have had our cards from the beginning of the offer. I guard my card with my passport. Good to know the consequences.
    You are a life saver and do a terrific Good Service. Pat

    • sdibaja says:

      glad it worked out Pat.
      I would advise scanning all of those documents, or at least make xerox copies, of even a cell phone photo. Keep it in a separate place.
      I had a long drawn out transaction, took several years. I had scanned everything, and archived emails too. Having a stack of paper, chronologically sorted, helped my new (more competent) atty get up to speed and get it all resolved.

    • yucalandia says:


      Also give thanks to Rolly Brook, Lic. S. Freimuth & Lic. Spencer McMullen for their fine additions & fine advice.

  2. Pingback: Update on What to do if you lose your INM card | Surviving Yucatan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s